This article explores the important decisions a surgical mesh victim must make when deciding if he or she should accept a surgical mesh settlement. Mesh implants are commonly used to repair hernia injuries to many areas of the body. Complications and defects in several brands of hernia mesh have led to hernia mesh recalls and lawsuits related to those injuries and complications. There ar now thousands of hernia mesh implant lawsuits. All victims suffering mesh discomfort should consider a hernia mesh implant lawsuit. These types of settlements by mesh manufacturers have proven to be rare. Many victims are wondering whether there is an average settlement for hernia mesh? Hernia mesh lawsuit settlements are difficult to get so it is important that victims are well informed. Hernia mesh lawsuit settlements amounts could vary significantly from one lawsuit to another.
Hernia Mesh Settlement Legal Hotline
Speak with an Attorney 24/7
Hernia mesh lawsuit settlements
There has only been one global hernia mesh settlement. In 2011, Bard / Davol paid 184 million to over 2600 mesh victims to settle the vast majority of the Kugel hernia mesh Multidistrict litigation cases pending in Rhode Island federal Court. Many law firms are reluctant to engage in hernia mesh lawsuit settlements unless these hernia mesh lawsuit settlements amounts are lucrative. Victims must be vigilant to comply with applicable statutes of limitations. Hernia mesh lawsuit settlement amounts could also be subject to a nondisclosure agreement. A surgical mesh victim must constantly review any mesh lawsuit update. There is no average settlement for hernia mesh.
If you are unsure of your options or would like to speak with a hernia mesh settlement lawyer, call us at (401) 648-3580 for free, no obligation consultation.
Compensation – Surgical Mesh Settlements
It is important to note that it is not required that mesh be recalled by the FDA for a seriously injured victim to obtain compensation as a result of defective mesh. We will say it again, a hernia mesh recall is not required to file a mesh lawsuit. For example, thousands of aggrieved surgical mesh Plaintiffs are pursuing medical device lawsuits. The surgical mesh victims are alleging that Ventralex, C-Qur mesh and Ethicon Physiomesh™are unreasonably dangerous and defective. None of those above mentioned surgical mesh products are currently subject to a hernia mesh recall in the United States.
Personal injury product liability lawsuits such as those involving hernia mesh often involve many complex issues. The hernia mesh victim must make important and sometimes complex legal decisions. These decisions have implications on the long term financial viability of the victims.
One of the most important decisions is whether or not to settle a case out of court and for how much. Sadly, when it comes to multi-district litigation in US Federal Court, victims are often pressured or even strong armed by their lawyers to accept a global settlement. Victims are worried that if they do not accept a paltry settlement foisted upon them by their law firm, they will no longer have an attorney to handle their case and they will get nothing for years of terrible pain and suffering. Hernia mesh lawsuit settlements are serious matters and the decision cannot nor should not be rushed. The matter is even more profound if the victim’s mesh complications and hernia mesh failure symptoms are or were devastating and severely painful.
Hernia mesh victims must look at the following factors to determine whether a proposed settlement is a good one:
- Amount of medical bills, prescription expenses and other medical expenses incurred by the victim
- Amount of lost wages, diminished working capacity and loss of past and future income
- The amount and duration of pain and suffering
- The number of revision surgeries
- Past, present and future medical expenses and pain and suffering
- How deep are the defendant’s pockets taking into account the number of claims pending
- How strong is the claim that the product is defective and how likely will it be to prove causation of symptoms to the defective hernia mesh.
- Was the alleged defective medical device recalled or withdrawn from the market?
- The time value of having funds now versus payment later
- The likelihood of getting a fair trial with the judge in charge of the mesh lawsuit litigation.
- The outcome of prior trial, decisions and bellwether trials which have occurred.
- Will my hernia mesh law firm continue to represent me through a full trial on the merits or seek to drop representation of me. This is a real concern. Some hernia mesh firms will pressure victims to accept a global Multi District Litigation settlement. The surgical mesh law firm may even withdraw representation (motion to withdraw) and refuse to pursue a full trial on the merits.
- Is there a potential legal issue that will preclude any compensation as a result of the inguinal hernia surgery. Is there a statute of limitations issue that may mean the case is dismissed? Will the Defendant’s highly paid experts establish that the surgical mesh is not defective meaning the victim will get nothing.
- Has the the judge handling the mesh litigation been ruling in favor of the mesh Plaintiffs or more sympathetic to the mesh manufacturer’s defenses.
- What are other mesh lawsuit 2018 victim’s receiving as hernia compensation amounts.
- The history of these types of settlements in the past.
- The extent of the symptoms, complications and mesh side effects. In other words hernia mesh failure symptoms are important.
- Has the particular mesh manufacturer made settlements in the past.
What is a fair hernia mesh settlement offer
The crux of this decision will be a judgment call about the fairness of the hernia mesh implant lawsuit settlement offered. There are myriad of issues to consider when analyzing a settlement for a hernia mesh, and this is best done consulting with an experienced defective medical device lawsuit attorney. A client can help his or her attorney by having a basic understanding of what may constitute a fair offer and the consequences of refusing such a mesh settlement.
Lawsuits & Settlements
The reality is that the vast majority of personal injury claims never go to a full jury trial on the merits. Hernia mesh defective product claims do go to Court. The vast majority of hernia mesh product liability causes of action are litigated in Federal Courts. Defendants in these cases, whether they be hospitals and doctors or product manufacturers, want to pay as little as possible or nothing. This means they may try to settle claims quickly and for the lowest possible amount. Initial mesh patch lawsuit settlements are almost always low ball offers that do little more than prey on an injured person’s need for quick cash. Refusing these initial offers and negotiating them up to something lucrative is an important part of the legal process for hernia mesh claims.
If you are unsure of your options or would like to speak with a hernia mesh settlement attorney, call us at (401) 648-3580 for free, no obligation consultation.
Here is a list of some Multi district litigation:
- MDL No. 1842 | In Re: Kugel Mesh Hernia Repair Patch Litigation UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF RHODE ISLAND (This MDL was disbanded. Most of these cases are now pending in RI State Superior Court or various Federal Courts)
- MDL No. 2753 | In Re: Atrium Medical Corp. C-Qur Mesh Products Liability Litigation, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
- MDL No. 2782 | In RE: Ethicon Physiomesh™ Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- There may also be a Bard/ Davol hernia mesh multidistrict litigation coming soon
Calculating Included Expenses
Hernia mesh devices implanted in victim’s bodies may result in a variety of medical complications, including pain, bleeding and infection. It is also possible for the hernia to recur, according to a report by the FDA. This means that initial symptoms and corrective surgeries may nor may not be the end of treatments and expenses required. A settlement must be designed to include any and all future expenses as much as possible. This may mean delaying settlement until future complications are very unlikely or including payment for future complications in the settlement itself. A mesh lawsuit update on this website and online must be reviewed carefully.
It is also important to be sure that all treatments and expenses related to the hernia mesh are properly included. These will include medical expenses and may also include other related expenses such as lost wages. It can sometimes be difficult to narrow down which treatments are related to the hernia mesh, especially if preexisting conditions or other injuries are present. A hernia mesh lawyer may make use of the examinations and testimony of medical experts to ensure injuries and expenses are properly included. If critical parts of treatment, especially ongoing treatments, are not included, then the settlement offer should likely be rejected.
The Effect of Court on Surgical Mesh Lawsuit Settlements
Ultimately, if a hernia mesh lawsuit settlements amount is not agreed to outside of court, the case ends up before a judge and jury. Taking an abdominal hernia mesh case to court is akin to a legal gamble that should be considered strategically and after careful consultation with the best hernia mesh attorneys. It is not known what the hernia mesh lawsuit settlement amounts in 2017 were, since no settlements were reported in 2017. Going to trial places the value of any hernia mesh lawsuit in the hands of a jury. While it is possible to obtain more damages from a trial, it is also possible to get less or no compensation. Juries are often sympathetic to injured plaintiffs, and this sympathy is a real part of the trial process a hernia mesh lawyer will consider.
Accepting a Settlement, or not?
The decision of whether or not to accept a mesh settlement is not an easy one. It is important to seek proper legal counsel when evaluating settlement offers. Never settle a hernia mesh lawsuit too quickly without having full knowledge of hernia mesh failure symptoms, and all of your available options.
In 2011 Bard/ Davol settled 2600 hernia mesh lawsuits for $184 million
“PROVIDENCE – C.R. Bard Inc. will pay $184 million to settle most of the claims in lawsuits being heard in Rhode Island over allegedly faulty hernia patches manufactured by its Warwick-based subsidiary Davol Inc. The tentative settlement in the federal case was disclosed in Bard’s second-quarter filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on June 30. It will affect about 2,600 of the 3,600 claims that have been filed throughout the country claiming injuries caused by Composix Kugel surgical mesh patches.” http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20110706/BUSINESS/307069999
Hernia Mesh Settlement Legal Hotline
Speak with an Attorney 24/7